Often, people are honored more after they’re dead. When Moses was alive, the children of Israel continually rebelled against him, but after he was dead he was regarded higher than even Jesus of Nazareth. I think that sometimes we assume that because Joseph was the prophet of the restoration, he must have been a saint for most of his life. While he was a great man, D&C sections 3&5 show us that even he made some gross errors.
It was quite interesting to read the words of the Lord rebuking one of His prophets. “Behold, you have been entrusted with these things, but how strict were your commandments. . . you should not have feared man more than God.” Joseph of all people should have known to obey God. He had seen and talked with Him. He was in big trouble.
As always, though, the rebuke comes with an invitation to repent. “But remember, God is merciful; therefore, repent of that which thou hast done which is contrary to the commandment which I gave you, and thou art still chosen, and art again called to the work.”
I don’t think I’ve ever been in this much trouble before, but I know what it’s like to deliberately sin against God. I also know that it feels pretty awful afterwards. It’s comforting to know though that no matter how big the mistake, God still wants me back.
The other thing that I learned from these sections is that nobody (except Christ) is absolutely necessary for the plans of God to roll forward. Of course, God wants everyone to take an active role in building the kingdom, but His work won’t be set back because one of us chooses not to participate. The work will roll on with or without us. Section 3 says, “The works, and the designs, and the purposes of God cannot be frustrated, neither can they come to naught. . . It is not the work of God that is frustrated, but the work of men.” If Joseph hadn’t humbled himself and repented of what he had done, the Book of Mormon still would have come forth. The Gospel still would have been restored. God would have raised up another prophet to get His work done.
If this is true of Joseph Smith, it is certainly true of us. I think it’s important to remember that God does not need us to do his work. We need the church more than it needs us. I think this knowledge can keep us humble and encourage us to do our very best.
No comments:
Post a Comment